Friday, March 2, 2012

Sure, You Can Have My Seat!

I've had quite a few presentations lately at various family history conferences, both in the United States and in England. Among the many Goolge+ questions I get, the most (from non-users) are about Hangouts. How they work? Whether or not special equipment is required? And how to know who to connect with . . . that sort of thing. For some reason it seems that some just aren't getting the concept of a "Hangout" and so I explain it like this.

Imagine walking into a large, very crowded cafeteria at a genealogy conference. You look around, see an assortment of round tables each with 10 chairs. Some are empty, some are partially occupied. You could simply walk up and ask to join a table and in short order, likely join the conversation. OR you could walk up and start a table of your own with one or more friends who may be waiting in line with you. As a table fills up, you max out at 10 and the conversation continues. Now - that's pretty easy to understand. In addition, you could plan to meet a certain group of friends every Tuesday at 1pm to chat about a common interest. My dad does this almost daily at his local Dunkin' Donuts . . . they sit, have coffee (and I'm sure at least one donut) and chat about a range of things, then go about their day. My point is that these get togethers are Hangouts. Whether spur-of-the-moment or planned, it's a group - sometimes friends, sometimes unknowns, joining together to enjoy conversation.

NOW - given that explaination, let me share today's Hangout wish list item. There are many occasions when I want to join a particular Hangout, but I can see it's full before I even try to join. It's like walking up to a table, even though you can see that all 10 chairs are full. I click the JOIN HANGOUT button, as if my luck may just slip me in as someone was leaving, but often times it's full and the message tells me, SORRY - THIS HANGOUT IS FULL. Depending upon what I've got on my plate at the moment, I may press TRY AGAIN or simply bail out until later.

Wouldn't it be great to know just how many people there are ahead of you in line? If you knew you were next, it would might certainly be worth the wait. If you knew 30 people were in queue ahead of you, you'd probably bail and perhaps start your own hangout. BUT - for certain discussions, when a carefully controlled crowd is discussing something, you may want to carefully excuse yourself and pass your seat to someone in particular. As if being the perfect gentleman, you may wish to give your seat to a lady - or a colleague who you know has something specific to add to the discussion. It would be great to be able to pass a token so that you particular seat could pass to someone you designate, thereby allowing them in just as your session expires. Certainly an electronic token could be passed from one person to another.

This would be a wonderful addition to an already wonderful service. Just wishing. How about you? Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your analogy, Dan, but I'm rather shocked by it, too. Maybe it is a cultural difference. I am a Canadian who has lived almost exclusively with British people. I would never dream of going up to a table and asking to join in. How intrusive! If they don't want me there, what are they going to say without embarrassing themselves?

    Maybe this is why you are having trouble with the concept. People are a bit shy. I'd love to go to a Genie Hangout, but I would like to know when it is and who will be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks +Cannuk! I appreciate your point of view on this and it is a reminder that from one region to another, things are viewed differently. I do agree that many (most?) are a bit shy and walking up to a table could seem a bit foreward. It's great that Hangouts give us the option to do both -- random or scheduled! Thanks again for feedback.

    ReplyDelete