Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sharing Desktop in Hangouts

This is quick, easy to explain, and I would think fairly easy to implement from an engineering perspective. While in Hangouts, I often find that I'm in discussions with others where I want/need to share my desktop with them or they need to share theirs with me/us.

I know there are third-party applications that can help achieve this, but I don't like installing all sorts of extra software on my machine unless it's absolutely necessary. There's enough on here as it is and I don't want to risk introducing a conflict. So, I've found myself jumping out of Hangouts and into a Skype call, just so I can share my screen with another and then discuss a length if needed, and, well, you see . . . now I'm no longer in the Hangout. No need for that.

In the last couple days alone, there had to be at least a half-dozen different situations. Someone was asking others to review and help decide on which new logo they liked better. He held printouts out up in front of his camera, but that just didn't cut it. Another person wanted to show the work they had done on their family tree and how impressive the chart is now that many generations are filled in and well documented. I wanted to have others review/critique slides for an upcoming webinar.

Well, I probably don't need to go on here, I simply want at least a basic ability to share my desktop with others in a Hangout. And I want them to be able to do the same on their end, at their option, of course.

What do you all think about this one? Share your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment